The School of Civil Engineering at IUST has a distinguished reputation in relaying up to date information and research in the field of civil engineering. Currently, there are 40 full time faculty members. After much experience with undergraduate students the school began its graduate programs in 1983, and has continued to expand its graduate programs to 10 master’s and 7 Ph.D. programs. Many master’s and Ph.D. dissertations have had valuable practical and theoretical applications, based on which an abundant number of articles have been published in national and international journals.
In 1992 the School of Civil Engineering was awarded the title, Country’s Top Eminent School of Civil Engineering by the Ministry of Science, Research and Technology, for its student and faculty accomplishments in ongoing educational and research activities.
Since 2002, the school has also been acknowledged as among the best centers of excellence in the field of structures. With its evident success and for the first time in Iran, the school initiated its post doctoral program in the field of Structural Engineering in the academic year 2001-2002. The school has well established a Ph.D. program in Highway Engineering and Transportation, and a Master’s program in Construction Engineering Management, since the academic years 1991-1992, and 2002-2003, respectively. This school graduated Iran’s first Ph.D. student in the field of Highway Engineering and Transportation.
Most noteworthy educational/research achievements of the School of Civil Engineering within the past four years are summarized as follows:
- Publication of 353 scholarly articles in highly accredited national and international engineering journals.
- Publication of 630 conference papers in scientific and engineering events.
- Authorship and translation of 39 titles of books in the fields of Structural Optimization, Concrete Technology, Surveying, Structural Mechanics, Soil Mechanics, Soil Dynamics, Project Management, Highway Planning and Design, and Traffic Engineering.
- Recipient of distinguished national professorship award from the Ministry of Research, Science and Technology, 2005.
- Recipient of distinguished researcher award by Iran Ministry of Science, Research and Technology, 2004 and 2006.
- Recipient of 6 patents for innovations at national levels.
- Signing 24 industrial project contracts with ministries and companies such as the Ministry of Road and Transportation, Iran Water Resources Management Co., and National Iranian Oil Company.
- The school has been acknowledged as "The Center of Excellence for Fundamental Research in Structural Engineering" since 2000.
- The school has established two research centers on "Asphalt Mixtures and Bitumen" and "Transportation".
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Water Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Highway Engineering
- Transportation Engineering